Tired of recurrent fungus infection in your toenails? If that is the case, then laser treatment might be the solution you are looking for. In as little as one treatment session (depending on the severity), you can finally say goodbye to unsightly, ugly toenail infection and enjoy clear and healthy toenails. Laser treatments can also be used to treat fungus infections in the fingernails.
Laser treatments do not require surgery and have numerous benefits for podiatric health. We use the latest laser technology to penetrate your toenails and soft tissues to destroy and obliterate fungus. Laser treatments are quicker, effective, better, pain-free, FDA-approved, and have a success rate of over 90%. Read on to find out more about the fantastic benefits of laser treatments.
What Is Toenail Fungus?
This nail fungal infection consists of tiny organisms that infect and thrive under the nails. This leads to the nails turning white, brownish, or yellowish; they appear flaky, thick and chipped. Initially, the fungus infection starts as a yellow, white spot or streak. If left untreated, the fungal infection can spread to the rest of the toenails and other people. The fungus is found in the toenails since shoes and socks provide a dark and moist place ideal for fungi growth. A weakened immune system and a family history of fungal infection and older people increase the risk of fungal infection. Additionally, going barefoot in public or shared damp places such as saunas, hot tubs, showers, and pools increases the risk of acquiring a toenail fungal infection.
In severe cases, the toenail can separate from the nail bed and fall off, leading to further complications. The fungus can also lead to an unpleasant foul smell from the accumulated debris beneath the toenail. It would help if you did not ignore this condition since it is hard to treat and cannot heal. The best treatment option is laser fungus therapy.
Laser Treatment Vs. Other Treatments
Oral medications and topical antifungal creams are the most common options for treating toenail fungus. Your doctor may prescribe a combination of both topical and oral medications based on your condition. However, both medications have a limited success rate and take more time to show results, taking more than a year to work. Additionally, you may become impatient and uncompliant if your treatment takes longer than expected. If you are not responding to these treatments, your doctor may recommend laser toenail fungus therapy.
Podiatrists prefer laser treatments since they are effective and a safer alternative to oral medications that act slower and have undesirable side effects. Most people also forget to take oral medication or apply it to the affected area regularly, delaying healing. Laser therapy revitalizes your nails naturally to grow healthier and clean. Your doctor may recommend combining topical medication with primary laser treatment for the best results. Topical medications have minimal side effects compared to oral medications. Laser treatment is applied to the fungal infection by shining laser light through your toenail to vaporize the fungus without harming the surrounding tissues. Before treatment, removing any decorations on your nails and nail polish is essential.
Suitable Candidates for Laser Fungal Toenail Therapy
Toenail fungal infections are best treated early because the longer they stay without being treated, they become worse and harder to resolve. You should not undergo toenail laser treatment if:
- You are pregnant or nursing
- There is the presence of skin cancers
- You have poor circulation (Peripheral Vascular Disease) or arterial insufficiency
- You are experiencing numbness or loss of feeling in your feet (Peripheral neuropathy)
- You have pigmented lesions or ingrown toenails
- You are diagnosed with diabetes
Benefits of Using Laser Treatment for Toenail Fungus
The following are the benefits of toenail laser treatment:
- Laser treatment has minimal discomfort; if present, it lasts within the first 48 hours after treatment.
- With laser therapy, there is no need for anesthesia since the procedure is quick and painless.
- The procedure is simple and fast, taking about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the severity of the fungal infection.
- Most patients require only one treatment to produce successful results. If you require an additional session, you must wait 30 days before beginning the subsequent treatment.
- Laser therapy preserves the nails, keeping them intact and improving the nail’s appearance after the treatment.
- Laser treatment is effective since the heat emitted by the laser destroys and eliminates the fungus without harming the surrounding tissues.
- According to studies, laser toenail fungus therapy technology has no side effects making it a safer option, unlike other fungal treatments with undesirable side effects.
- Toenail laser treatment is suitable for people of all ages.
- Laser toenail therapy offers a quick recovery period within weeks compared to other treatments. The treatment reduces swelling and minimizes scarring.
- Laser treatments produce fast, immediate relief due to their ability to immediately eradicate the fungus in the toenails.
- It is an excellent alternative if you do not want the hassle of taking oral medications
When to See Results
Once you undergo laser toenail treatments, a healthy new toenail regrowth will be visible within two months, and your nail will continue to grow. After treatment, your nail will return to its natural, original, clear, healthy appearance. Typically, your toenail will replace itself or regrow every 9 to 12 months.
Your podiatrist may recommend using topical antifungal medication to minimize the chances of cross-contamination. An antifungal shoe spray may also be recommended to minimize the risk of recontamination. Laser therapy treats the current infection but does not prevent a reoccurrence. Therefore, it is essential to take precautionary measures, which your doctor will provide.
If you are self-conscious about the appearance of your toenails due to a fungal infection, it is essential to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Our experienced and board-certified podiatrists at Walk NYC Podiatry, PC can treat your toenail fungus infection to improve and restore the appearance of your nails. For more information please contact Walk NYC Podiatry, PC.